Monday, February 27, 2012

Well we all try to live in the best of intentions, which is what i have about writting this blog.

I've been reading a lot of other foreign blogs lately. Or rather, blogs about people living in foreign countries. Seems a lot of people are doing this these days. I can recall when i started this blog back in Jan 2004 that it seemed something of a novelty at the time.

Anyways, i guess in 8 years time a lot can change. While i'm not living in London these days i'm still abroad and i guess a lot of the novelty of a living in a new country has worn off after 5 years in NZ.

Not that i haven't got anything to say or comment on still.

This year, both of my new years resolutions had to do with distance.

1. Try and do a better job of keeping in touch with friends and replying to those who contact you.
2. Travel a bit more.

I've been fulfilling both so far i think. We spent early Jan in Fiji with friends and we're off to Sydney to see some others soon. We're also headed back to see family and friends in the States in July. I'm sure there's time to fit a trip or 2 more in between as well.

We recently passed a milestone in our lives - 5 years of living in New Zealand. I'm not sure if you had asked me 5 years ago if i thought i'd be here then, but, well here i am. I've now lived outside of the US for a consequitve almost 7 years. And while some people seem to think i've developed an accent, i can't help but wonder what else i've picked up.

I already use kiwi and Aussie slang - much to my mom's confusion when i mentioned what i ate for "brekky" the other morning and the strange look on my dad's face when i talked about my "flash" new office.

I'm sure to other American's i probably don't seem too familiar, but i will continue to hold to some of my American-ness. But the things i classify as American-ness are only a small part of identity.

Right, that's enough waxing philosphical for me for now.

2 Comments:

At 5:28 PM, Blogger theDistractedsoul said...

Nice post...
P.S I kinda liked the title of your blog..
P.P.S It took you longer to lose the novelty. Good for you that you don't get bored a way too earlier from a new place or thing.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

We should learn by the mistakes of others.
cheap nfl jerseys

 

Post a Comment

<< Home